Return to the Basements Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
tips for installing balusters down basement steps

Posted by andrelaplume2 (My Page) on
Tue, Oct 12, 10 at 15:06

This is nothing fancy and being done for safety sake and to make the stairway look better as we finish the basement. I think I'll have no problem installing the post at the bottom of the bottom of the stairs and conecting the new bannister to it. (Its a straight 12 step vertical run down...no turns).

After the new banister is up I understand I need some sort of balusters attached to each step (2- 3 per step?) that run vertically into the banister above. They sell primed balusters made of wood. I like the iron ones better but the are square and pricey. I was looking for something rounded. I saw a suggestion for balusters on the cheap that suggested using metal conduit. Its cheap and I need to paint whatever I use navy blue anyway so it would suffice. Supposedly you just drill holes in the steps and banister and insert the conduit. It sound simple but whether using the conduit or real balusters I am sure there are tips to making this go easy......any tips?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: tips for installing balusters down basement steps

This depends so much on the quality of the basement and how often it is used. Does someone carry a laundry basket down these steps ? This event could dictate the design parameters.
A shame, I consider the basement a most important area, yet, for so many its for a perceived "second class" people...this concept I despise..

o
RE: tips for installing balusters down basement steps

yes laundry down the steps so please elaborate. I do not mean to imply I am being 'cheap' with my basement. I am doing it myself as funds are available. It is meant to eventually be a clean, safe environment for the kids to play shoot pool, watch tv and provide storage. To me it won't be 'rich' like some I've seen with bathrooms and bars etc etc. As far as the balusters, we have a typical set of step, though being 20 years old, they are of a nicer pine than I see in new homes. I want to leave them open, hence the need for balusters. Underneath the stairs will be open as well housing a desk and some storage. We hope to have a Yankees theme and thus want the balusers to act as pinstripes...thus some dowel like (conduit?) that can be painted navy blue.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Basements Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here