Return to the Basements Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
insulating unfinished basement utility room

Posted by endlessfixing (My Page) on
Tue, Oct 27, 09 at 14:37

A contractor doing some work in my basement today suggested he insulate the ceiling of the utility/furnace room "while he was here". There is no ceiling- just exposed ducts and wiring under the subfloor (shiplap decking). The master bedroom is right above.

He said he would staple faced batt insulation to the joists and cover it with a "vapor barrier" to keep debris/dust from falling into the room. The vapor barrier looks like a thin white plastic with embedded/embossed 1/4 inch mesh. He could not explain exactly what it was or what it's called, but said he uses it all the time.

He would also put the batts and vapor barrier in the exterior wall space above the foundation.

Does this sound like a good idea? I don't want to introduce any moisture/mold, fire hazard, or fiberglass dust problems just for some "possible" heat savings.

I've been trying to read up on basement insulation, here and elsewhere, but I've been finding conflicting info about benefits/drawbacks, use of vapor barriers, etc.

Hope someone can help me decide how to proceed. Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: insulating unfinished basement utility room

I've been finding conflicting info about benefits/drawbacks, use of vapor barriers, etc.

Only from non-building scientists.

See Building Science Corp., link below. They also provide much of the insulation info available from the US Department of Energy: Energy Efficiency and Renewable Energy.

insulate the ceiling of the utility/furnace room

Is the basement heated or not heated? If it's heated, insulate the first four feet of the walls and the space between the joists. If it's not heated, what is the point of insulating the ceiling on one room?

batts and vapor barrier in the exterior wall space above the foundation

Absolutely not! Liquid water or water vapour will render fibrous insulation less than useless and provide a home for mould.

It would help if we knew what climate you were in. I know that everyone puts in their profile they are in the US. It's a big country.

Here is a link that might be useful: Basement Insulation Systems

o

Thanks for the reply and the link.

The basement is mostly finished/heated with sheetrock on the ceiling and walls with batt insulation inside. (Determined while tracking down rat problem.)

But the furnace is in a large unfinished room with open "ceiling" and concrete foundation walls except for the top 2 feet of exposed wall/studs. There are rigid metal heat ducts running along the joists, but no heat vents into this room.

The master bedroom is above this unfinished room.

The house is brick, built in 1930. Located in Seattle.

o

The efficient approach is to insulate the walls below the frost line and the rim joist area with sprayed or board foam as illustrated in this Building Science Corp. publication.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Basements Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here