Return to the Basements Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Mr Worthy or other insulation experts

Posted by rocairjer (My Page) on
Sun, Oct 16, 11 at 14:21

We have poured basement walls. I would like to insulate them as they are very cold in the winter. The difference is that we do not need to do a full wall. Can we just put XPS and call it good?. Putting wood studded walls up is not necessary. Is there anything we can do?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Mr Worthy or other insulation experts

Foam board must be protected with a fireproofing material, in residential use, typically 1/2" wallboard.

Thermax--polyisocyanurate foam covered with aluminum--is an alternative widely used in industrial settings.

Another alternative is the use of an intumescent coating rolled or sprayed onto the boards.

o
RE: Mr Worthy or other insulation experts

that slotted xps worked great in areas for me. Its slotted on the ends to fit a 1 x 3 which you may screw into the walls. The 1x3 then can hold the drywall. I did this in areas of my basement where I knew electricity would not be needed...bottom of steps, closets. I hope there is nothing in code about doing this. I was concerned about R value too but just having the xps up had made a huge difference....basement temps used to hit 56 in the winter....I do not think I have seen them below 60 since and usually its 62+. I did stud in front of it some areas and prepurchased fg insulation to put in (have not got to that yet!)...sort of wonder if that was even necesary. Eventually I'll open a couple of heat vents from our new heat pump down there too and maybe I will not need aux heat.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Basements Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here