Return to the Basements Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Minimum ceiling height?

Posted by edselpdx (My Page) on
Sun, Oct 1, 06 at 13:56

I know local codes may vary, but what is generally the minimum height for a finished living space in a basement. I'm thinking about adding egress/closet/bathroom downstairs for my soon-to-be-teen, because our current bedrooms don't offer much privacy from each other. The ceiling in the space is pretty low, though, and I don't want to start investing in too much research if it will never meet code....
Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Minimum ceiling height?

Because codes vary greatly around the country, you should check with your local building department. Around here many have basic information available online, in some cases even an downloadable "checklist" for basement finishing.

Typically there are different requirements for basement "bedrooms" too. Egress is very important! One common way to get around those requirements is to call the space a home office or craft room. But if someone is going to actually be sleeping in the space...make sure you have proper egress.

Mike

o

Thanks for the reply... I had looked on-line, but went back this morning and did more searching and did find the Portland requirements (6'8", generally, with some exceptions around pipes, etc.) I am planning to add an egress window in any case, since part of the space is finished already (by a previous owner, concrete painted walls and fiberboard ceiling...) and is used for occasional sleepovers. It actually appears that my concrete stairs to the basement may not be "grandfatherable" due to height restrictions, and it would be a major job to change those to add a legal "bedroom". I'll probably drop by the building permit office and ask some questions... they're pretty nice here, and I worked with them on a kitchen remodel and addition a while back.

o

Most building departments are pretty decent. Sure there are some folks that are real jerks but most just want you to follow the code, a code that often exists for a reason.

Mike

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Basements Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here