Return to the Basements Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
dropped ceiling or sheetrock?

Posted by jojoco (My Page) on
Mon, Oct 16, 06 at 13:37

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

The windows are what are throwing me for a curve. They are higher than the ductwork. I like sheetrock, but my dh wants to save money with a dropped ceiling. I don't think height is a problem as we have a 13 course foundation.

Any ideas?
Jo

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: dropped ceiling or sheetrock?

I'd say you could do either one. I'm assuming your concern, is that with a dropped ceiling, it would drop below the top of the windows.

There is a product called ceilinglink (www.kensa.com)that is a ceiling grid system that uses standared 2x2 or 2x4 ceiling tiles. The top track screws into the ceiling joists, and the bottom track ,which holds the ceiing tiles, snaps into the top track. You only lose around 1" of ceiling height. This is what i used in my basement, and I'm glad I did. If I ever want to run wires, or need access into the ceiling, I still can.

Home depot sells a similar product, but it's a lot more expensive.

o

I always recommend a drop ceiling for basements. It makes it easy to get to mechanicals or if you ever need to run coax or cat5. I guarantee that if a pipe leaks above a drywall ceiling it will not appear directly below the leak.

Mike

o

whatever you decide, don't drop below the top of the windows. That won't look right.

o

Jasper,
That is what was driving me crazy. The windows are higher than the ductwork, and only one window had ductwork next to it. We've finally decided to go with sheetrock to avoid the wierd reverse window well look that couldn't be avoided with a dropped ceiling.
Thanks.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Basements Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here