Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jollyrd

Salamander family next to drain hole

jollyrd
11 years ago

Should I worry? There is a salamander family that continues to live (and reproduce) next to the outdoor drain hole. The drain hole is at the base of the steps going from ground level to the basement; there is a french drain surrounging the basement. I've seen adult salamander go inside the hole and hide inside/underground. I've seen baby salamander too. They have been there for years now, sometimes I find it dead in the hole, but eventually they continue to exist. I never saw them anywhere else in the garden.

Comments (7)

• worthy
    11 years ago

That's why you put a screen or cover over drain outlets.

They're harmless anyway.

We used to have garter snakes living behind the stones of our basement walkup, only poking out their heads on a sunny day. Partly explains why we didn't have a mouse problem.

• lazypup
    11 years ago

Slamanders are totally harmless and they eat bugs...where is the downside of them being there?

• jollyrd
    Original Author
    11 years ago

The only concern I have: the rare chance that they will sneak inside the basement when I open the door. Based on my observation, they reproduce very fast. LOL With the hurricane passing through, I was opening the door often to check the drain status -- and I saw toads, and other little reptiles in that spot.

• dirtslinger2
    11 years ago

They do not reproduce fast, once per year and most die.
    They are slow and won't run into the house.
    Make a small water feature and enjoy! They do eat bugs.

• Navin-R-Johnson
    11 years ago

I'd be really careful. I've heard of salamanders growing to be eight feet long and 500 pounds. They have been known to devour human flesh. They have been known to hide within bathtub faucets, and when you turn the water on, they slither out and get you, and pull you into the faucet. If you break their tail, they will immediately multiply to 5 more salamanders within seconds. They are very difficult to get rid of. You can't call just any pest removal team, they need to be specially trained in salamander removal - and it takes years and years of training and sometimes loss of limbs before anybody really gets good at it. You need to wait for the 3rd full moon of the year, and the temperature must be between 73.6 degrees and 73.9 degrees, and you must chant the words "gargon margoyle jehoobus" at least 3 times, while wearing pink pumps, green eyeshadow and a blonde wig - and you need to be hopping up and down on one leg with your eyes crossed the whole time you're doing this. If you don't follow these precise instructions, you are doomed.

• chibimimi
    11 years ago

Thanks, Navin -- you just brightened up a pretty gloomy day! Just polished my pink pumps -- now I have to find a salamander!

• andrelaplume2
    11 years ago

I think I saw that movie on Svengoolie last saturday!

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths