Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
famdog

Can I do this w/a dehumidifier?

famdog
15 years ago

I need to install a dehumidifier in my basement, as it's musty smelling and some things in storage are getting mildew etc... I don't have a sink downstairs, but do have a 16" hole in the floor in the corner of the slab, it's new construction, 5 yrs old. When I bought the house, it tested a bit high for radon, so the former homeowner (seller) had a radon mitigation system installed. This consisted of covering up the aforementioned 16" diam. hole, and installing 4" pvc duct to an exterior fan which moves the air from the hole outside and up the side of the house to the second floor where it escapes. Note: there's no water in the basement, and it's never been wet...just humid, esp. this summer in upstate NY when we had a lot of rain.

Q: I want to install a dehumidifier that I won't have to physically empty by carrying the water upstairs to dump. I know there are models available that offer a drainage hose out the back. Can I cut a hole in the plastic cover to the radon system and drain there? The volume of water won't be that great, but last thing I want to do is flood the basement.

Option 2: about 3 feet off the floor of the basement is a 4" pvc trap that drains all waste water out of the house into the septic tank out back. I could theoretically put the dehumidifier on a shelf and drain slightly downhill to the trap, as it has a pcv clean-out which sits vertically that I could step down to accept a garden hose. I'm just concerned this might back up...

Any advice?

Comments (2)