Return to the Basements Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
enclosing air handler etc

Posted by andrelaplume2 (My Page) on
Thu, Oct 14, 10 at 12:35

My new heat pump was installed. There is a wall on one side already. The back abuts a stairway and I plan to box that in as well as the other side. Thus is will be walled in on 3 sides and I am going to put sliding dors in the front so it is fully accessible.

Since this is not a boiler but rather a heat pump, do I need to drywall the INSIDE of this area?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: enclosing air handler etc

If this is an air source heat pump--most likely as they are the most common--it may not be advisable to enclose it as it uses the air as a heat source or sink. Check the manual, manufacturer's website or technical line or your supplier before enclosing it.

o

Thanks worthy, I'll double check..it is a hp. I did ask the salesman who sold it to me who said it could be enclosed and in fact said he'd come back and put a return thru my wall into the unit when I 'finished' my basement...that was year ago!

Still I'll double check. Would drywall be necesary both inside and out?

o

Enclosure is probably not the best description. You can surround it as long as you leave sufficient room for ventilation. See, for instance, the answer by this energy supplier.

Drywall around any return would look more finished. Certainly, drywall isn't suitable for exterior use.

o

I think I confused you. I am talking about the part of the heat pump that resides in the house...in the basement.

o

Oh well. It can't hurt to post a hopefully helpful answer to a question that wasn't asked.

o

For operation, enclosing the unit is no problem providing you provide a louvered door or dedicated return air ducting so the air can get into the unit, however you MUST make sure that you leave sufficient access for maintenance, including removing the fan/motor assembly.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Basements Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here