Return to the Basements Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
exterior waterproofing

Posted by columbusgardener (My Page) on
Sun, Oct 7, 07 at 11:27

Here is my situation:
The western wall of my home is always hit with the most amount of rain water. It then dips off the exterior in the general vicinity of the wall as well. When we built I never thought about the water that might be absorbed in the space between the first floor and the waterproofing at the soil line. We are considering finishing the basement and while we have never had any water problems I think it might be in our best interests to waterproof the outside.

I have thought that a drip ledge installed right on top of the waterproofing materials and then putting an exterior grade waterproof paint on the exposed masonry block. Does this sound about right? Anyone have any suggestions as to what "paint" is the best for this kind of project?

Thank you

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: exterior waterproofing

Most interior water is the result of improper grading on the exterior of the house. Could be your guttering system needs to be tweaked to take the water further from your foundtion.
Go outside during a rain storm and take a good look as to what is going on.
Is your water table low? if so this would be another cause and require a sump pump, but I suspect this is not the case.

The slope on the outside of your house may just need to be adjusted. Easy to fix and no need to dig up the foundation soil.

o
RE: exterior waterproofing

actually there is no real water - just when we have a shower the space between the house and the grade line gets wet I can see where it could be a problem. Below the grade there is no dampness - and I have never had the sump pump turn on.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Basements Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here