Return to the Basements Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Sani-Dry Dehumidifier

Posted by marymarks (My Page) on
Tue, Oct 2, 07 at 10:56

We've had a Sani-Dry dehumidifier in our basement for the past year and our energy costs have sky-rocketed. I used an energy meter and found that it is using 15 kwh PER DAY! More the 7 times as much as my 13 year old refrigerator. Have other Sani-Dry owners seen this type of energy consumption? Perhaps there is a problem with my unit? This certainly goes against the literature calling this an energy-star rated appliance.

Any info would be helpful before the service guys come next week.
Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Sani-Dry Dehumidifier

Most use about 700 watts, give or take a bit.
Which means yours is probably running full time, or very nearly so.

Apparently you have it set to a way low percentage ,,, or your basement has a pretty serious dampness problem.

Is it set 50 to 60% ?

o

Thanks Mikie. I've got it set to 50% and auto on/off. It does run quite a bit, but there are definite periods when it is off. But from 700 watts to 15 kw???

o

15kW is 15,000 watts, which equates to 625 watts if the unit is running 24 hours per day.

Do you have the stand-up model rated at 6.8 amps? This would be about 820 watts.

This seems right if the unit is running about 75% of the time.

o

Yes, I have the stand-up model at 6.8 amps. Sorry to be dense, but you are saying I should expect the system to use 600-800 watts per hour for a total close to 15,000 watts per day (assuming it runs 24 hours)? That just seems outrageous to me. Not exactly the "energy saver" they promoted in the literature.

Another question: should I be setting the humidity setting lower for the winter months? Or should it stay at 50% year round?

thanks for the input.

o

Your unit may be more efficient at removing a given amount of water from the air per kilowatt hour than other dehumidifiers, but that doesnt change the reality that removing moisture from the air is a very energy intensive activity.

At 820 watts per hour, running for 18 hours per day, gives a total of just under 15 kilowatts.

You dont have to go lower than 50% humidity at any time of the year.

One way to make the dehumidifier run less, is to take steps that reduces the amount of moisture that can enter the space in the first place. Can you describe in detail the area you are trying to dehumidify, including size, location above/below grade, wall & floor finishings, your climate, etc.

o

fwiw,
The wattage rating on the label is its max constant current draw. Probably at something like 80%/80F.

At 50%, should be drawing maybe 200watts(a guess) less that labeled.

o

Basically the problem here is that the SaniDry should not be running that often to begin with.

Maybe your setting is too low or unrealistic for your basement. Try to increase it to 55% and you should be just fine if you set it at up to 60%.

If the SaniDry is still running that often, you have a bigger problem and it has nothing to do with the SaniDry, which is only doing its job.

The fact is that somehow and for some reason, an enormous amount of moisture is pouring into your basement and that is the problem that needs to be addressed.

A few questions I'd suggest you try to answer.

Is your drainage system working properly? Is it being serviced consistently as recommended by the manufacturer or installer? Is the sump pit sealed or is it allowing water to evaporate into the basement? Are the gutters clogged? Are the downspouts discharging far enough from the foundation walls? Is the terrain around the house graded properly (sloping away from the house)?

Check for plumbing leaks, changes in the water table or anything that can be causing the moisture problem.

Here is a link that might be useful: SaniDry Info

o

whats a sani dry? whats a regular Kenmore dehumidifier cost to run...are there energy efficient ones?

o

my dehumidifier is set to 65 RH and the basement has had no mildew or musty odors, even during a very humid Connecticut summer. As cooler temperatures arrive, there is no longer any need for me to run the unit. The RH stays below 60 percent on its own.

o

my dehumidifier is set to 65 RH and the basement has had no mildew or musty odors, even during a very humid Connecticut summer. As cooler temperatures arrive, there is no longer any need for me to run the unit. The RH stays below 60 percent on its own.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Basements Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here