Return to the Basements Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
no insulation vs. plastic insulation?

Posted by phoenix_nj (My Page) on
Tue, Oct 14, 08 at 10:36

I'm going to put 2" XPS on my perimeter walls. I was going to frame and sheetrock without any additional insulation between the studs.

Are there any sound issues with not filling the studs with insulation at the perimeter wall (ie, cinder block foundation walls)? We're just using the basement for the children's playroom. Maybe later, we might convert a portion of it into a media room.

Someone told me about plastic insulation that has no paper backing and therefore won't itself provide a food source for mold. Any comments/insight on this type of insulation?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: no insulation vs. plastic insulation?

sound issues
Like noise?

plastic insulation
Sometimes XPS and EPS are referred to as "plastic." There is also recycled polyethylene terephthalate (PET) fibre insulation. I haven't seen it, but have read that it is difficult to cut and handle.

o

By not filling the walls along the perimeter foundation with insulation, will there be any echoing?

Yes, I was referring to the PET fibre insulation.

thanks.

o

echo

No more so than in any conventionally constructed room. However, if you're sound blocking the basement, you should also do something within the perimeter walls. If you're in far north New Jersey, which is in the cold zone, it will make economic sense to increase the R factor with some batts. If not, don't bother.

Photobucket
US Department of Energy Hygro-thermal Regions

Have you found a source for PET batts?

Here is a link that might be useful: Designs That Work by Hygro-thermal regions

o

But wouldn't leaving the framed voids empty create a space for cold air to condense on the relatively warm sheetrock?

I thought elimination of air-spaces was desirable.

o

The air between the drywall and the XPS should be warm enough that there is no condensation. But fiber glass is relatively cheap and I did fill in the space on my own home with batts.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Basements Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here