Return to the Basements Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Questions on Insulating Basement Floor

Posted by bantoniewicz (My Page) on
Thu, Oct 22, 09 at 10:31

We're seeking to finish our basement floor (walls are already done) including insulating it. Based on our research, we've decided to go with an XPS base (1"), plywood sub floor and FLOR carpet tiles (for ease of clean and removal - two young boys).

My question is regarding the installation technique. My plan is to follow the technique as outlined by "mmcarty", "... Use 1" to 2" XPS on the floors. Use tongue and groove or shiplapped sheets and tape all joints. Leave a 1/4" gap at the walls and fill with expanding foam. Cover with 1/2", 5/8", or 2 sheets of 1/2" plywood tap conned through the XPS to the floor..."

So the big question is - Does this mean you do NOT have to install 2x4 sleepers? In other words, can I simply install the plywood (5/8" T&G) on top of the XPS (T&G, caulked and taped) and then anchor it to the foundation with tapcon screws. This appears to be the easiest, most energy efficient and head room efficient of all of the methods. I had always been told that you need to install framing first with a 6mil+ vapor barrier. I don't want to have to re-do the install.

Thanks.

p.s. Our basement is in Chicago, no water to date (3 years, worse flooding in Midwest history). There is some general moisture. Also, we have HVAC with a humidifier and central air and I plan to install an Oregon Scientific indoor thermometer and humidity gauge. As well the walls are brick with spray foam insulation behind and through the framing studs with green board drywall.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Questions on Insulating Basement Floor

See Building Science Corp. reference below.

No sleepers needed. BSC calls for two layers XPS, first layer attached by concrete screws; glue or screw the second layer to the first. Framing sits on top

Here is a link that might be useful: See RR-0202 Figure 15

o

Woops! That's two layers of ply ontop of the XPS.

o

Worthy,

you seam an xps expert. LEts say the above floor is done as described and somehow there is a flood...a washer hose bursts, a water heater lets go etc. Wjat need to be done...must all xps be removed?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Basements Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here