Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bantoniewicz_gw

Questions on Insulating Basement Floor

bantoniewicz
14 years ago

We're seeking to finish our basement floor (walls are already done) including insulating it. Based on our research, we've decided to go with an XPS base (1"), plywood sub floor and FLOR carpet tiles (for ease of clean and removal - two young boys).

My question is regarding the installation technique. My plan is to follow the technique as outlined by "mmcarty", "... Use 1" to 2" XPS on the floors. Use tongue and groove or shiplapped sheets and tape all joints. Leave a 1/4" gap at the walls and fill with expanding foam. Cover with 1/2", 5/8", or 2 sheets of 1/2" plywood tap conned through the XPS to the floor..."

So the big question is - Does this mean you do NOT have to install 2x4 sleepers? In other words, can I simply install the plywood (5/8" T&G) on top of the XPS (T&G, caulked and taped) and then anchor it to the foundation with tapcon screws. This appears to be the easiest, most energy efficient and head room efficient of all of the methods. I had always been told that you need to install framing first with a 6mil+ vapor barrier. I don't want to have to re-do the install.

Thanks.

p.s. Our basement is in Chicago, no water to date (3 years, worse flooding in Midwest history). There is some general moisture. Also, we have HVAC with a humidifier and central air and I plan to install an Oregon Scientific indoor thermometer and humidity gauge. As well the walls are brick with spray foam insulation behind and through the framing studs with green board drywall.

Comments (3)