Return to the Basements Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Two-tone colored ledge on basement wall?

Posted by snert (My Page) on
Thu, Oct 22, 09 at 8:34

We are in the midst of a basement remodel, and we have a ledge along one of the exterior walls approx. 4'6" feet of the ground. We are acid staining the concrete a sort of reddish color, but need to pick paint colors in the next few days. My wife thinks we should have a different color above the ledge than below. We are installing white baseboard trim after the floor is stained.

What do people think of the two-tone look? We might also have a MDF trim piece on the ledge, since I think it will inevitably be used to put drinks on, etc.

A link to a few shots of the basement is below.

Basement Remodel

Here is a link that might be useful: Basement remodel

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Two-tone colored ledge on basement wall?

That is a LOT of work that you have done.

Hopefully, on any drywall that you put up - on outside walls - you insulated behind the drywall with Foam insulation. Something which is moisture impervious. Regular fiberglas insulation will absorb moisture from basement walls... I didn't see any photos of insulation in all the work your doing....

As far as your ledge, and color schemes - a dramatic change in color can have a good effect. Some like it, some don't.

I have a friend who paints Murals on walls... I always end up liking his paint jobs on various houses... but they are really unique!

In 'honor' of him - on a remodel which my wife and I are finishing up... I said to my lovely wife: "Honey, all of these colors are nice, but they are also so bland. Just kinda blending in, same o, same o. You know what Mike does. And his stuff always looks good. So, let's take a page out of Mike's book; and paint the ceiling heating vent soffit a really different color."

So, we did. We have "Chocolate Froth" on the walls, and something else which is hardly distingusable from that on the ceiling... (some sort of Vanilla white) - and then this Red/Purple heating vent soffit. (It's not a glow in the dark, bright Red, but I'm having trouble describing it...) No one has even noticed it - till I point it out. But the definite color change in just this one area - adds to the room. We think.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Basements Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here