Return to the Basements Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Crawlspace - Basement Systems = CleanSpace

Posted by lostinit (My Page) on
Mon, Oct 11, 10 at 2:05

Anyone ever used this product to encapsulate their crawlspace? Is it worth the dough? If so, what did you pay on average? Did it mitigate the issues? Was it worth the money?

I am thinking about going this route and I am wondering who may have used this system for their crawlspace. It actually seems like a good solution because you can actually store things in your crawlspace, have access to pipes and wiring and piers without the nastiness of cobwebs, mildew and mice.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Crawlspace - Basement Systems = CleanSpace

Our crawl space below the kitchens is nothing but clay soil earth, with 0.5% or so ventilation.But I cannot believe that nigh zero rust, mildew occurred. And the air had a great aroma...
Cobwebs ? yes, but what do they hurt??
I do not really know why..

o

Sardonic but not what I was looking for. I had a guy from the cleanspace company come out and spec what was needed and what it would cost. After inspecting my crawlspace, he showed me pictures of a floor beam that had some powder post beetle damage as well as some piers wicking water from the soil, rat urine and feces, rodent holes dug under the footing. He told me I would need to clean out all the debris, close the vents, install a drainage mat under neath a 20 mil vapor barrier, install a dehumidifier with a condensation pump and a new crawlspace door.

I asked if I needed to replace the insulation in the crawlspace and he said you don't need it because the encapsulation would keep the air at a constant temperature as well as the dehumidifier maintaining any moisture issues. I wouldn't have to worry about spiders, rats, mold, mildew, beetles or anything and I would be able to store items underneath the house and they would smell as clean as they were before they were put in. All for the total price of 14k.

o

Creating a conditioned crawlspace is favoured by Building Science Corp. See their site (linked below) for info on what's involved.

Here's another thread at GardenWeb on Cleanspace.

I would remove water-sensitive insulation as mould is likely in it and will be activated again.

Here is a link that might be useful: Crawlspaces

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Basements Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here