Return to the Basements Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
basement walls

Posted by elmer_de (My Page) on
Fri, Oct 5, 12 at 1:58

Does anyone see a problem with installing 2 inch xps on inside of basement walls and then mounting 5/8 inch plywood over it screwing into block wall with long tap cons . Basement will not be heated or cooled but will run dehumidifier . Just trying to keep walkout basement warmer in winter and only use in for storage . Basement does not leak but dehumidifier extracts about a gallon of water daily . Basement ceiling and floor will remain uninsulated .

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: basement walls

There's no moisture problem as plywood is vapour semi-permeable and as long as a dehumidifier is used to keep rh below 50 percent. However, two inches of XPS (R10) is below recommended insulation values for your area. (Plant hardiness zones are not the same as Climate Zones, but minimum temperatures of 5 degrees F. would indicate you're in a cold zone.)

You would get the same effect with a thinner, thus cheaper plywood or unfinished drywall. Or you could use thicker layers of EPS and save further money on materials.

o
RE: basement walls

thanks for the information Worthy . I will let you know what I decide

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Basements Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here