Return to the Basements Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
basement patch crumbling

Posted by hayley1999_99 (My Page) on
Fri, Oct 30, 09 at 0:55

I recently bought a house and went down to bleach the walls in the basement. It smelled damp down there with no visible water. I took a light weight sprayer to the walls and could hear the patch they used crumbling to the floor. It appears to be sandy in nature and comes off kind of easily.

I want to fix this 'patching' they did and waterproof my 100 yr old ROCK basement. What are the best products to use for this? Remember its a rock basement.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: basement patch crumbling

Waterproofing from the inside almost never works. It traps moisture within the wall where it may cause serious damage to the foundation, especially if it should freeze. Rock foundations were often designed to allow water through where it was then directed to a cellar drain.

The best things you can do are make sure the grading slopes away from the foundation, gutters (if present) are clear and downspouts send water away. Having a bone dry cellar with a stone foundation is probably not possible. The fact that you saw no standng water is a good sign.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Basements Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here