Return to the Basements Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Sealing Pipe Holes

Posted by lrb91849 (My Page) on
Mon, Sep 10, 07 at 21:16

My daughter recently converted her home into a Mother/Daughter set-up. The original unfinished basement was converted in to a 2 Bedroom 2 Bath apartment.

In order to do this conversion the Main Drain Pipe had to be redirected; it still exits the concrete foundation on the same wall, but it is now about 2 feet lower. This was done in order to install a Building Requirement Window in the bedroom.

After I retired and we moved in, we began to notice a water problem in the corner of the bedroom. Every time we get a heavy down pour, the carpeting in the corner gets pretty wet. It just happens to be the corner where the Main Drain Exits the basement.

My guess is ... one of the Pipe Holes (Old One or New One) is not sealed well enough.

I plan to dig down outside and Reseal Both Pipe Holes. I was looking for suggestions for sealing material. I have read that hydraulic cement is not the Total Answer. It seems that polyurethane foam works a lot better.

I was wondering if others have had water problems due to poorly sealed pipe holes exiting through poured concrete foundations.

I would appreciate any suggestions on preparation and materials to use.

Thanks,
LouB

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Sealing Pipe Holes

The plumbing Code requires that any time a pipe passes through a masonary wall the pipe must be sleeved. The sleeve may be sealed to the masonary by any convenient means while the space between the exterior wall of the desired pipe and the interior wall of the sleeve is to be sealed with expansion foam.

In new construction we commonly set the sleeve in the form and it is cast into the concrete wall however when we must cut through and install the sleeve and pipe later it is a common practice to use expansion foam to seal the sleeve to the wall as well as the interior of the sleeve.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Basements Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here