Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jtabler_gw

Oh No! More water in the basement due to Radon?

jtabler
12 years ago

We purchased our home a year ago and had water issue in the spring during a "most rain in a day since 1926." The sump pump wasn't working, and some water entered through the windows. I did some major excavating to form a ditch about 10' from the foundation wall that is naturally emptied to daylight with a utility pump bonus.

Now, our sump pump is working and no water came in through the windows last night, but somehow water found its way up through cracks on the slab floor during a 2.5" downpour. The perimeter of the basement is fine. There was maybe just three to five gallons of water total.

So, here is the question, I heard water running last night and, it turns out, it was a steady stream coming in through the radon vent pipe from the exterior vent which is above our second story roof. Nothing I could do about it. It was going straight down into below slab. Is it possible that this was enough water to push up through cracks 5' and 15' feet away?

Supposedly, this house did not have any water issues during its 30 previous years (the 70s shag carpet was moldy in one corner).

Comments (5)

Sponsored
Kwon Contracting
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Innovative & Creative General Contractors Servicing Loudoun County, VA