Return to the Basements Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
New Construction- Does drywall mean 'finished'?

Posted by johnstaci (My Page) on
Sat, Sep 27, 08 at 18:44

I am building a new home and am planning on not totally "finishing" the basement. Am planning on having it framed in and HVAC only - plus stubbed up for plumbing.

Question- If I decide to do rough elect and drywall (say no mud), would that be considered "finished" and subject to property taxes? Has anyone done anything similar?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: New Construction- Does drywall mean 'finished'?

In my jurisdiction the tax man is way ahead of you.

If the basement is roughed in for a bathroom whether the walls and fixtures are installed or not, its a bathroom and if you install a ceiling in the basement-its a finished basement.

o
RE: New Construction- Does drywall mean 'finished'?

To Lazy, it actually by definition is not finished and when they come to assess your property tell them that is not finished if you can not use it how can it be finished. For another conversation, If you remeasure your house from interior wall to interior wall you actually cut down your square footage and cut your cost of your house. Do you use the 6 inches of exterior walls?? You can't so they can not charge you for that space. They use outside dimensions because they are fast and easy. They also can not charge you for a vaulted ceiling in a foyer for the second story. They add this in your square footage but it is unusable space. Hope that Helps.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Basements Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here