Return to the Basements Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Safe Room Door Size

Posted by johnstaci (My Page) on
Sat, Sep 27, 08 at 18:30

I'm having the walls pour on my basement in a couple days. The basement will have a concrete "safe room" underneath the porch stoop. Has anyone done this - what size should I have them block out for the steel door into the safe room?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Safe Room Door Size

What does the door instructions specify?

o

I am asking what size steel (safe room) door and opening size has been used by others.

If I knew exactly what door I was using, I obviously would know the opening size.

o

is this a room to run to when burglars come (like that Jodie Foster movie) or a room to store valuables....the difference being one is large and one is small. If small, I would think a small door would suffice, depending on what you are putting in there.

o

I thought a "safe rooom" was for hurricane/tornado protection as per FEMA's definition.

I grew up when prepareadness meant hide-under-your desk if the Commies drop an A bomb on you. But this actually sounds like a good idea.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Basements Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here