Return to the Basements Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What is the safest way to remove....

Posted by kickypants (My Page) on
Thu, Sep 10, 09 at 18:03

I am removing old linolium from the the basement cement floor. What is the safest and easiest way to get the old glue off the cement? It is in a small bathroom which is next to the furnace so fumes are a concern...

Once the floor is removed, what is the best flooring to put down to cover a cement floor in a basement bathroom?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What is the safest way to remove....

See the website in the link for the appropriate removal methods. The removal methods are OSHA recommended.

If the linoleum is from before the early 1980s, it--and the mastic adhering it to the floor--very likely contain asbestos and can be safely removed as per the Institute recommendations. Or they can be safely covered.

Here is a link that might be useful: Resilient Floor Covering Institute

o
RE: What is the safest way to remove....

I have 2 layers of vinyl on our basement floor and it was recommended to leave it. we put laminate flooring over it and the guy said that we the vinyl was helpful as a vapor barrier. But, you can't put more vinyl on top of 2 layers (or so I've been told) so it does depend on what you're going to do. I love laminated flooring, but they say not for basements. We had our bathroom tiled, and it is holding up well. since it was a small spot, I was able to get tile on sale.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Basements Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here