Return to the Basements Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Tips on getting drywall in basement

Posted by where_am_i (My Page) on
Tue, Sep 26, 06 at 17:46

I have discovered it will be next to impossible to get a full sheet of drywall down my steps, around the corner and into my basement. At first I was thinking I could cut the sheets down. I am pretty sure I will be hiring out the taping and mudding portion, but I would think less seams would always be better, even if a pro does it. My next thought is to go through a window. I have a 6' wide casement window that needs to be replaced anyhow. Is there such a window that can be removed and have the full width available?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Tips on getting drywall in basement

Are you doing this as a one person job? I had to do the same thing and the orange "panel carry" tool sold at Home Depot was great for this. I won't say it was easy, but at least it let's you hold the panel "lower" as you go down the steps and maneuver.

And "next to impossible" is still way better than cutting them. If you haven't done so, you might want to get a helper and actually find out.

o

Instead of cutting the sheets down, I heard that you can score one side and snap, but don't break apart. This allows you to maneuver a sheet of drywall around corners. Since the paper remains intact on one side, no additional seams.

o

I was able to trim the sheets to their necessary height for my walls, then make the turn in the steps. One sheet at a time but it worked. For the ceiling, I purchased 12' sheets, then cut them into 5' and 7' sections, staggering my butt joints.

One of my neighbors removed his family room carpet, then a section of sub floor. Dropped the drywall down and reinstalled the carpet. Clever solution.

o

Don't listen to the dumbaxx about scoring the back of the sheet.

o

yo momma's a dumbaxx! jerk!

o

If full 4 x 8 sheets will not fit through the passageway available, then cut as necessary to get them down there. But I would try to store the sheets elsewhere as full sheets and cut/carry as each piece is installed. Slower perhaps, but some cut pieces needed for specific locations might be able to be moved in to the basement while the same piece might not yield from a piece 4 x 4 or 2 x 8 if all the sheets were precut. For example, suppose you needed a 3 x 5 at one place. If both 4 x 4 and 2 x 8 can be carried to the basement, then cutting as they are installed makes even more sense. Cut whichever is best for the particular place in the basement.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Basements Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here