Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bobomama

Silt coming through in basement/ Wet basement

bobomama
17 years ago

We are looking at a house to buy, but it has several issues I thought I'd check into before we go much further.

Of course we will have all the inspections done, I just thought I'd see what y'all think.

The basement of this house has some H2O issues.

Issue 1:

There is silt seeping in from the base of the wall (where the wall meets the floor)...This is happening in just one spot. It is in the LOWEST part of the basement.

The area that is affected with the silt used to be the old garage (drive around back & park under the house).

The owners built up the door with concrete & made the old garage area part of the basement.

Issue 2:

The window wells leak when it rains & the water trickles down the walls. I think this has been happening for some time, because the concrete is starting to crumble a little where the water has been trickling down for so long.

(P.S. The window wells are FULL of mulch from outside gardening endeavors)

Issue3:

The drain spouts empty out right next to the house !!!

so obviously this is not helping the situation.

A basement guy quoted approx. $3900 for a perimeter drain system, sump & crock & repairing the window wells....this is an 1100 sq. ft. basement.

Is a perimeter drain necessary?

What are the benefits vs. drawbacks of a french drain system?

Would clearing the window wells, applying a "Dry-Loc" type product, diverting the drain spouts & adjusting some of the soil for better grading be of much help ?

Is this a lost cause.....I don't want to go any further in the house negotiations if it is too much trouble.

Thanks for any help

Comment (1)