Return to the Basements Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Bought house with finished basement no permits?

Posted by Justinbrenda (My Page) on
Sun, Sep 1, 13 at 17:03

I bought a house 1 year ago that has a partially finished basement. I contacted the county to get a permit to finish the last room, and the county claims the permits were never pulled to finish any of the basement. I would have to pull permits and have the existing finished portions inspected. OK, but here's where it gets fishy.

I contacted the previous owners, who say that it was finished when they bought it 10+ years ago. There was only 1 owner previous to them. The county tax records show the basement as partially finished (to the exact square footage that is finished). Could this have been done by the builder? I asked the county, and they said no. I'm not convinced.

Feeling a bit discouraged and don't know where to go with this next. Any advice would be appreciated!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Bought house with finished basement no permits?

The partial finishing could have been done in the original construction- thus no separate permit. The fact that the tax office is aware lends lots of credibility to that idea. How else would they know? Typically the primary purpose of permits to finish basements is to get it on the tax books. Find out how long this has been in the tax records.
In my experience, some of the county employees sitting behind desks are barely functional- mentally speaking.
Why couldn't they think through this?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Basements Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here