Return to the Basements Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Adhesive Question

Posted by andrelaplume2 (My Page) on
Sat, Sep 20, 08 at 16:32

Two question!

1) What is the best adhesive to glue 1/2" XPS to poured concrete walls. Is there a preffered method for this---lines of adhesive, dots, put on thick, thin etc?

2) I have a new cultured marble top for a bath cabinet. The old top was formica and screwed in place. Directions for the cultured marble say to apply adhesive to the cabintet top and marble top's backsplash. It does NOT say what kind to use but reccomends something light in color so it does not 'show thru' the marble. What should I use here?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Adhesive Question

1) Building Codes require the foam to be mechanically attached. You can use firring strips, powder charge tools or concrete screws.

Adhesive is only used to fix it in place till it's mechanically adhered. It comes in caulking tubes and is clearly labelled for attaching foam, such as DAP Panelling & Foam adhesive. I found adhesive wasn't much use on an irregular poured wall. I just propped the foam up with a two by four, drilled a pilot mark through the foam. Once one concrete screw was in, I did the rest through the foam.

2) Use a quality clear silicone adhesive. If it's a large or awkward counter you might put down dowels across the bead first so you can located the counter without disturbing the bead. When you've got it into position, pull out the dowels.

o
RE: Adhesive Question

Worthy, you are everywhere! I hope those TapCon screws w/washers will work if I can not just use adhesive!

Is there anything I can glue directly to the XPS for on the closet. I do NOT want to frame around pipes, I want then left open for clean puts,leaks etc. I CAN fit some xps in back of them. I can fit furring strips on top and then drywall. Is there anything up to code that I can glue over the xps for the closet OR is there a mold issue with having something directly adhered to the XPS? Is there perhaps and XPS product that already has a fireproof (u to code) barrier already in place?

o
RE: Adhesive Question followup

Worthy, you are everywhere

I try not to be! I just kind of like it down here in the basement!

There's no mould issue with attaching anything directly to the XPS. But I'm not sure if it would hold a thermal barrier such as the 1/2" drywall.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Basements Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here