Return to the Basements Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
ceiling tile

Posted by andrelaplume2 (My Page) on
Mon, Sep 10, 07 at 16:25

I want to put in a dropped ceiling. The cheapest way to go is with Armstrong 2 X 4 flat type tiles; ie the lay flush with the grid. I'd prefer 2 X 2 tiles thought. The cheapest method would be to buy the 2 X 4 tiles and cut them in half. I do like better the 2 X 2 tiles that lay slightly below the grid; 3 dimensionaly - they are quite a bit more money though. Here at work we have what appears to be a 2 X 4 3 dimensional tiles that that have a false grid cut through the middle...thus it looks like 2 X 2 tiles. I'd imagine these might be less than the 2 X 2s. Trouble is, I do not see them for sale anywhere. Ideas?

***Also, do the 2 X 4 cheapies provide less noise reduction than the 3 dimensional ones?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: ceiling tile

Hi,

if you really want to save money yes,thats the way to go,they have a tool for it's called a shadow line cutter among other names,they also use to sell at Home Depot,to get that recessed look,It's mainly used for the 2x2 tile going against the wall where a full tile won't fit
Though it would be a lot of work,you will also have that Grey inner color your edge may look rough unless you keep changing blades.

I've gone that way for people basement's or small office, restaurants that want to keep the price down.

Don't think 2x4 or 2x2 make difference as far as noise we sometime have use rolled insulation for that.

Hope it helps

o

....does sound like a lot of work. Actually the tiles above my hear are 2 X 4s with grids around the 2 X 4 perimeter. However the tiles have a recessed area the size of the grid in the middle, giving the appearance of 2 X 2s with 2 X 2 grids....that is what I am looking for!

o

I bought our tile from Menard's, as they just had a 10% sale on what was already $1.00 per tile cheaper than HD and Lowes for the exact same item. If you're basing your decision on what you can find at those 2 stores, keep shopping.

o

is that an internet shop or a local place....I am in PA.

o

They're a chain store, but looking at their map I see that they do not have a store in PA.

You could go to the Armstrong site and do a dealer search.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Basements Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here