Return to the Basements Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Sump pump needs repair?

Posted by maryann0625 (My Page) on
Thu, Sep 17, 09 at 16:24

It seems that my sump pump only runs if I go into the basement and jiggle the pipe that comes out of the hole in the floor. Most likely, what is happening? What needs to be done?

Thanks for any help!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Sump pump needs repair?

I'd guess something is wrong with the float switch. It could just be hung up and not floating up or it could be going bad.

o

did you look in the pit? I thought I had pump problem w/very heavy rains in june - turned out to be the pit to where sump was emptying was failing - pump worked fine, new pit dug & stone lined

open the sump pit & run a hose to it -, if the pump is ok it should trigger discharge - depending on the setting, w/o jiggling anything.

good luck

o

Thanks for your suggestions. The Atlanta deluge of September 09 brought our area about 22 inches of rain in three days. The dehumidifier died. The sump pump gave up. Both have now been replaced, and all signs of dampness are gone. Music to my ears when I hear the new sump pump kick on and run all by itself!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Basements Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here