Return to the Basements Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
COncrete floor / Carpet question

Posted by andrelaplume2 (My Page) on
Mon, Sep 10, 07 at 16:19

I might be installing some 2 X 2 carpet tiles on our basement floor. We have had any water down there. Questions:

1) Should I seal the floor with something first---if so what?

2) Should I glue the tiles down, if so with what?

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: COncrete floor / Carpet question

--We have had any water down there--

This is unclear.

2) No.

o

I am sorry, we have not had any water in the basement. I was not sure if gluing the carpet tiles down was a good idea...I suspect not. How would I affix them though? Some available are peel and stick but I'd think I'd have to seal the floor first for propper adhesion...? Something so simple has me puzzled as to the correct method to use....

o

Won't they lay flat? If anything hit them with some carpet tape on the corners.

I don't think I would want "proper" adhesion, too hard to remove if anytrhing happened. We just removed an old carpet that was soaked from a water leak. A cpvc fitting split and flooded the basement. A very slow leak in an area that we don't normally go.

o

Hi. We used Miliken's Tesserae carpet tiles. They are somewhat tacky on the bottom, but other than that, no extra adhesive is used. You just lay them flush with each other, and the pressure (of one against the next and the end ones against the wall) hold them down. We have two little boys running and playing on them, and they've never slipped a bit. In fact, you really have to pry them out (if you want to get them out). So far, so good. We love them!

o

I will look for those thanks.

Anyone seal there concrete floors before putting down the carpet?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Basements Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here