Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
andrelaplume2

How do I finish this

andrelaplume2
15 years ago

I posted once before but did not get a clear answer. I need to finish the poured concrete wall that abuts my basement staircase. That particular wall is below my garage I can not imagine it ever having a water issue. The problem is I have no room to frame it out...the stairway is right against it. Actually, I have and inch and a half of clearance. This would be enough to attach furring strips to the concrete, put styrafoam in between and drywall over. I was not sure if its safe to affix those furring strips right to the concrete or if thats looking for trouble. Maybe the sell pt furring strips?

The only other alternative I can think of is glueing 1" xps to the concrete and glueing the drywall to the XPS....would that be secure...

Ideas?

Comments (16)

• worthy
    15 years ago

Use Wallmate or equivalent. It goes on the wall first with firring at the joints to hold it, adhered with either concrete screws or powder actuated fasteners. Then attach the drywall onto the firring with drywall screws.

For video on application. Scroll down to Interior basements and crawlspaces.

• worthy
    15 years ago

I take it the wall is parallel to the stairs. Hanging the drywall 1/2" over the stringer is fine.

• andrelaplume2
    Original Author
    15 years ago

whats a sringer? As you go down the stairs you can run hand along the wall. Can furring strip be attached to the concrete...no mold issue?

• worthy
    15 years ago

Firring directly attached to the concrete foundation will trap moisture and lead to mould. XPS first, then firring.

Typical staircase.

Sometimes the stringers will be set back a few inches from the sides; metal staircases can even have a single stringer in the center.

• andrelaplume2
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Ok, let me further explain....there is no room to XPS then fur then drywall...looking at the picture above, imagine the right side of the stairs abuts the concrete wall...I need to drywall both above and below the stairs...actually there is 1.25 inches of space between the stringer and concrete wall enough to fur to concrete and then slide a 4 X 8 drywall sheet between...but if furring concrete is no good...how do I do this....

• worthy
    15 years ago

So you want to slip the drywall behind the stringer, rather than cut around the stairs, which is a pain and not that neat if you're not a pro.

On that wall, use 1/2" or 1" XPS mechanically attached with concrete screws and fender washers. Then finish with 1/4" drywall.

• andrelaplume2
    Original Author
    15 years ago

secure the drywall to the xps with glue?

• worthy
    15 years ago

Attach to the strapping with 1" drywall screws. Glue is not needed. I've seen commercial boarders bond drywall to plaster using Durabond, but I'd leave that to the pros.

• andrelaplume2
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Wait, what strapping. I have enough room to attach furring stips to the concrete and then drywall OR glue 1" XPS and glue 1/4 drywall to that....I only have 1 1/4 inch clearance in total!

• worthy
    15 years ago

Sorry. Attach to the firring strips. In other words, the firring strips hold the XPS to the concrete and provide anchorage for the drywall screws.

• andrelaplume2
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Not enough room for 1/2" xps, 1X3 fur on top and 3/8" drywall on top of that(or 1/4" if I could find it). Best I can figure is to mount some pt 1X3 furs (if they even sell that) directly to the concrete (Maybe with some of that rolled pink stuff in in between, the stuff usually put under the pt wood that goes on the floor) Mount these strips every 2 feet. But some 1/2" XPX and put in between. Mount the drywal over that. In fact, if I measure right, the drywall would just about run flush into the drywall at the top of the stairs. I shoudl take some pictures. How does that sound? Note this area of concrete wall abuts the back of my garage...all underground, can not imagine water getting in unless it comes from below somehow.

• worthy
    15 years ago

If there's no space, there's no space. What you suggest is the best you can do. The XPS doesn't stop water intrusion; it prevents condensation on the interior of the foundation wall.

• andrelaplume2
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I kind of figured this. I am now searching for 1 X 3 pt fur strip...have not seen any yet, may have to go with regular. I assume then the benefit of the extra thickness of XPS is mostly geared toward higher R values?

• velvetfoot
    15 years ago

If you could squeeze in 1" of xps and 1/2" of drywall into that gap and glue it, there's no place it would go if things got hot. Would that be enough restraint?

• andrelaplume2
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I don't know what kind of glue would hold the XPS to the wall and the drywall to the XPS. It might move around. The only bad thing about my plan (other than the lack of inuslation) is the wood in contact with the concrete...which is why I want to slip a piece of that foam seal stuff behind the fur strips.

• worthy
    15 years ago

foam seal stuff behind the fur strips.

A piece of 6 mil poly vapour barrier will do.

The higher R value will keep the wall warm enough that water vapour doesn't condense on it.