Return to the Basements Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Basement ceiling options

Posted by Helena2013 (My Page) on
Sun, Sep 15, 13 at 15:53

Just found out this week that the finished basement in the house I recently bought (still renovating) had/possibly still has a massive rodent infestation: mice, rats, chipmunks. Plus mold from an upstairs water leak. Oh, and camel crickets too.

Anyway, all the drywall (ceilings, walls) and insulation is going to be professionally removed and the exposed framing and walls disinfected. Yes it is that bad. :-( Carpeting is already gone. It's poured concrete construction (not cinderblock). Previous owners had made a rental apartment down there ... no permits of course ... but the kitchen has already been ripped out. Bathroom probably will be as well, as part of the decontamination procedure.

Depending on the extent of the dampness problem, I'd like to at least enclose the ceiling so as to create a barrier between the basement and the living space above. Especially if the basement will require further treatment (spray) for pests. But I absolutely don't want to put foam batt insulation up there again. Would a suspended insulated-panel ceiling be a sensible option? I'm thinking that it would be the easiest way to have a closed ceiling that would also be easily accessible for maintenance, wiring and checking for any future problems. Naturally any entry points will be taken care of but as we all know, these critters are wily and so I'm not ever going to assume it can't possibly happen again.

Ceiling is only 7 ft (to the existing drywall which will be coming down); is that an issue for using a suspended/grid ceiling?

I'm hoping to be able to finish the walls again but it will be several years before I'd be able to do them and/or the flooring (cost issues).

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Basement ceiling options

Your basement is part of your home and air will be exchanged through a thousand little crevices and cracks and or HVAC, planned or not.

So the "cure" for basement dampness is not trying to separate it from the finished space above. Instead, address the problem directly through mechanical dehumidification and damp proofing/waterproofing.

Suspending ceilings will not deter rodents.

This post was edited by worthy on Sat, Sep 21, 13 at 12:54

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Basements Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here