Return to the Basements Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Cutting/Jackhammering Basement for Drain

Posted by danielj_2009 (My Page) on
Sun, Sep 11, 11 at 15:29

Hi. I need to run an interior French drain to my sump in the basement. I'll probably install a new sump, too. I had someone come in to do an estimate, and they said they use a jackhammer instead of saw to minimize dust. I decided I would like to make this a DIY project, but I'm unable to find specific enough information anywhere online about removing the existing concrete floor. I have two concerns:

1. Do I need to precut/score a line maybe 12" away from the wall with a diamond saw so that I can jackhammer up to this line, or can I just roughly jackhammer out the 12" channel? I don't want to crack the floor beyond the 12", but it would save a step and a lot of mess if I don't need the saw. It's a bit of a long run to cut.

2. My floor is "concreted" right up to the walls with no gap like you see on newer floors. How can I be sure I won't damage the cinder blocks at floor level? Will the concrete just break away from the wall with maybe a tap from a sledge hammer?

Thanks for any help.

Dan

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Cutting/Jackhammering Basement for Drain

I just had this done last week. Best 10k I ever spent. It was a hell of a lot of work to watch the 4 guys bust their ass for 2 days.

Dude, just pay.

o
RE: Cutting/Jackhammering Basement for Drain

Not much action on this one. Thanks for the reply and advice. I'll probably wait until spring to revisit this project as we are pretty busy right now.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Basements Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here