Return to the Basements Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Paint Over Drylok / Sand Concrete walls

Posted by andrelaplume2 (My Page) on
Fri, Sep 14, 07 at 15:17

Two part question. We want to do a mini overhaul of our basement. Its always been dry and has poured concrete walls. We do run a dehumidifier and empty it every other day so there is some mositure down there. I want to paint the walls to brighten things up. Every 2 feet around the basement there is a roughish vertical line from ceiling to floor. I am guessing this is where the forms were when the concrete was poured. Other than those lines the concrete is VERY flat and smooth. I was going to use DryLok (might be overkill but I figure it may cut down on moisture permiating through walls). Can those vertical lines be smoothed flat by some sort of sander? If so what kind, how do I do it?

If the above is not possible or not worth the effort, my son had an idea. DryLok the walls white or grey and paint the lines navy blue. Like pinstripes; ala the NY Yankees. Maybe even paint the numbers of retired Yankee players on the walls. Here, my question would be, can I paint over Drylok. If so with what? Any suggestions for getting the lines straight...the numbers?

I even thought of buying navy blue duct tape and applying it over the lines....any chance that would work?

Any suggestions are appreciated! Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Paint Over Drylok / Sand Concrete walls

Yes, you can paint over Dry-loc. I painted my basement walls with the same interior paint and color I used throughout the rest of my house - a warm creamy color. I did not like the stark white effect of the plain Dry-loc, but the overpaint in the creamy color gives the basement such a warm glow. This was about 5 years ago, and it still looks terrific. The duct tape doesn't sound effective, I can't imagine how the tape would look right applied over a bump - but blue paint stripes would work...Frankly, I have similar verical ridges, but don't really notice them with the paint. I was careful to comply with all recommended steps in preparation for the Dry-loc, which I suspect is critical for success. Good luck!!!

o

Do some more research. The manufacturer as well as a lot of testimonials say do not go over anything other than a clean surface with drylok or any other product.

Here is a link that might be useful: Drylok Data Sheet

o

Sometime the adjoining concrete forms are not perfectly lined up, which may or may not give you problems.

The concrete lines can be ground down using a tool with a diamond-impregnated cutting wheel. Be careful with the concrete dust generated during the process as it can be damaging to your body if you breath it in or get it in your eyes. A good shop vac adjacent to the grinding tool would help capture the dust; you can route the vac discharge to the outside away form the work area.

But it kinda seems like more effort than it is worth.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Basements Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here