Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
andrelaplume2

Paint Over Drylok / Sand Concrete walls

andrelaplume2
16 years ago

Two part question. We want to do a mini overhaul of our basement. Its always been dry and has poured concrete walls. We do run a dehumidifier and empty it every other day so there is some mositure down there. I want to paint the walls to brighten things up. Every 2 feet around the basement there is a roughish vertical line from ceiling to floor. I am guessing this is where the forms were when the concrete was poured. Other than those lines the concrete is VERY flat and smooth. I was going to use DryLok (might be overkill but I figure it may cut down on moisture permiating through walls). Can those vertical lines be smoothed flat by some sort of sander? If so what kind, how do I do it?

If the above is not possible or not worth the effort, my son had an idea. DryLok the walls white or grey and paint the lines navy blue. Like pinstripes; ala the NY Yankees. Maybe even paint the numbers of retired Yankee players on the walls. Here, my question would be, can I paint over Drylok. If so with what? Any suggestions for getting the lines straight...the numbers?

I even thought of buying navy blue duct tape and applying it over the lines....any chance that would work?

Any suggestions are appreciated! Thanks!

Comments (3)