Return to the Basements Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Source of high quality vapor barrier

Posted by ani_t (My Page) on
Fri, Sep 8, 06 at 14:26

My smelly house woes continue. I've cleaned out the crawlspace of debris (failed ductwork etc.,)
I have cleaned it out and have ordered borocare to spray on all the joists.
Since my crawlspace is belowgrade on all sides but one there are only two tiny vents. I started installing 6 mil poly (from Home Depot) and now I find that there are better ones available- cross laminated something.
Does anyone know where I can find these in the Seattle area ? What do I ask for ? Are there any brands you would recommend ?
I plan to cover the foundation walls with it and attach it with a furring strip. I understand that I need to leave a 4 inch gap from the wood on top of the foundation for termite inspection.
I am really looking forward to doing this- feel like I am accomplishing something ! :)
Thanks all

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Source of high quality vapor barrier

Try 'building supply' in the yellow pages.

o

You might look into double sided alum radiant barrier. Commercial extra tuff version will be about .006 and have cross linked poly stuff inbetween the alum. About 90# tear strength is what some I've bought says. Bugs arent going to like it and it hurts the little critters teeth to chew on it. Heat always goes to cold so it'll mirror the heat which fakes heat transfer and heat will mostly stay on the hot side.

o

What is your rationale for the vapour barrier? (Other than achieving a sense of accomplishment.)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Basements Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here