Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mmr1234_gw

Nonorganic Materials in Basement after Waterproofing?

mmr1234
14 years ago

I am in the middle of a basement remodeling. I have damp walls and high humidity after a rain that have caused mold in the past, no actual water leaks. Dehumid drys it out like a bone, but walls still damp after rain due to some exterior issues letting water against foundation. We have done the following to waterproof:

- Exterior work to get water away from foundation (gutters etc). Sealed cracks in driveway/foundation interface etc, grading land away from house better.

- installed french drain with sump pump, vapor barrier that is sealed on the interior walls, and santa fe dehumidifier.

My contractor suggested that I only needed the standard blue board, wood studs, and fiberglass insulation. However, many other people suggest making it as nonorganic as possible through the use of metal studs, rigid foam insulation, and green board.

Upgrading to these materials is an added expense and my contractor stated that he cant use greenboard because plaster doesnt stick to it, but he could get away with green for the bottom foot and blue board the rest of the way.

My question is: If i am going through all of this waterproofing, wouldnt i be OK with the standard blueboard, insulation, and wood studs? Woudln't I be preventing water and moisture and therefore not need to get too carried away with interior materials?

Thanks in advance!

Comments (4)