Return to the Basements Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Nonorganic Materials in Basement after Waterproofing?

Posted by mmr1234 (My Page) on
Thu, Sep 17, 09 at 13:40

I am in the middle of a basement remodeling. I have damp walls and high humidity after a rain that have caused mold in the past, no actual water leaks. Dehumid drys it out like a bone, but walls still damp after rain due to some exterior issues letting water against foundation. We have done the following to waterproof:

- Exterior work to get water away from foundation (gutters etc). Sealed cracks in driveway/foundation interface etc, grading land away from house better.
- installed french drain with sump pump, vapor barrier that is sealed on the interior walls, and santa fe dehumidifier.

My contractor suggested that I only needed the standard blue board, wood studs, and fiberglass insulation. However, many other people suggest making it as nonorganic as possible through the use of metal studs, rigid foam insulation, and green board.

Upgrading to these materials is an added expense and my contractor stated that he cant use greenboard because plaster doesnt stick to it, but he could get away with green for the bottom foot and blue board the rest of the way.

My question is: If i am going through all of this waterproofing, wouldnt i be OK with the standard blueboard, insulation, and wood studs? Woudln't I be preventing water and moisture and therefore not need to get too carried away with interior materials?

Thanks in advance!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Nonorganic Materials in Basement after Waterproofing?

vapor barrier that is sealed on the interior walls

There's your problem! Get rid of it!

Though I've used them in basements, I would be cautious using metal studding. It's clean and fast and doesn't warp. But it is susceptible to moisture, galvanized or not. I've torn apart renos done a few years before where the bottom plates were already rusted out. Keep the plate off the floor with an inch of XPS under the plates and be sure the walls are either foamed or covered in sufficient foam board (XPS or EPS) to slow moisture movement and keep that dehumidifier on.

Read the publications at Building Science (linked below). There are no higher authorities.

Here is a link that might be useful: Building Science on Basements

o
RE: followup

My contractor suggested that I only needed the standard blue board, wood studs, and fiberglass insulation.

No fiberglass, unless it's to the interior of foam or foam board. Or, perhaps, you're using Membrain vapour barrier, which is very difficult to find.

Again, see Building Science publications.

o

thanks, helpful!

o

It sounds to me as if you used the wrong approach to eliminate dampness on your walls. Interior water-control systems cannot eliminate dampness of the walls.

You will only accomplish this with actual waterproofing. This requires excavation to the footing. Rpairing cracks, sealing the walls, installing drainage, and backfilling with gravel.

Most interior drain companies claim to be waterproofers, but all they basicly do is control the water once it has entered.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Basements Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here