Return to the Basements Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Basement windows

Posted by Jleigh0036 (My Page) on
Mon, Sep 30, 13 at 13:14

I wanted to know if it is a good idea to put plastic on outside of windows and shrink wrap inside of windows for the winter?
The reason I wanted to cover outside of windows is they are below ground with a window well around them. The windows are sliding ones and when the snow, which we get a lot of, builds up in the window well water leaks inside by way of the tracks. Ordinarily way the windows work is when rain settles in track between screen and window there are drain holes in track to drain water. But if snow lays against it it can't drain. As it melts it seeps in through bottom window tracks.
I am renting the house and landlord does not want to install window well covers.
I have caulked the outside and inside around the windows to help.
I thought by covering outside of window in plastic it will keep snow off the window tracks.
The reason I wanted to cover inside of windows with shrink wrap is for insulation purposes since the basement is so cold in winter. thought may help some. My concern is with wrapping inside and outside of windows will it cause condensation to build up inside windows between the the two layers of plastic?
Or would just be best to cover only the inside of windows?
I just repaired all the water damage around the inside of the windows.
In past had to keep towels on inside widow sills to soak up water coming in.
Anyway my questions sre will condensation build if put plastic on outside and inside? If so which would be better put plastic on outside or inside if can only do plastic on one side?

Thanks for any advise.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Basement windows

Outside only. The shrink wrap is good only for sealing cracks.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Basements Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here