Return to the Basements Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
hatchway door

Posted by radioguy4ever (My Page) on
Mon, Sep 17, 07 at 13:09

i checked with lowes and HD looking for a bilco style door, but ours seems to be ALOT smaller than normal. the opening is roughly 4x7

i want to constuct a door for temp use (a year or 2) untill we have the funds to have a custom one made.

my plan is to start with a 2x4 frame, then plywood, then 5/4x6 decking boards. my question is what can i use to make a good seal between the wood and the concrete?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: hatchway door

Flexible seal right?

Try camper sales, especially pop-ups. They use a strip to seal the top to the bottem. I bought a roll at Menards of camper seal about 1 1/2" wide but not very thick.

o
RE: hatchway door

it doesnt need to be real thick, just enough to make a somewhat airtight seal. will it adhere to concrete?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Basements Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here