Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
wandawoman_gw

Basement drop ceiling height

wandawoman
17 years ago

We have a 12 course basement. We are looking into finishing it. We plan on having a drop ceiling. Because of duct work and support beams the ceiling will only be 7 ft tall. Does anyone know if this is average height for a basement ceiling? I was at my brother-in-laws recently and measured his basement ceiling. His was 7 ft 4 inches.

Thanks.

Comments (18)

• subywu
    17 years ago

Sometimes it is better to box in ducts and beams, and maximize the ceiling height elsewhere. To me, that is preferable to having a low ceiling everywhere. I am 6" tall and 7" is just too low to feel comfortable.

• jtwtech
    17 years ago

I don't know the average height of basement ceilings. Mine before ceiling was installed was about 7'11. After ceiling grid was installed, it is around 7'10". I used a celing grid system called ceiling link. (www.kensa.com) it's just like a suspended ceiling except that the grid attaches directly to the celing joists, so you only lose about an inch, as comapred to 6 or more inches with a typical suspended ceiling.

Home depot sells a similar product, but it's a lot more expensive. I installed the ceiling myself, and its pretty easy, although a little time consuming.

• jasper_60103
    17 years ago

This is the reason why I didn't do a drop ceiling. 7' is too low for the entire ceiling. Box-in the duct work for max ceiling height.

• wbralick
    17 years ago

I boxed in the ducts, which made that part of the ceiling 7'2". The rest is suspended and sits right at 8' with plenty of room for can lights.

Bill

• jasper_60103
    17 years ago

Wandawoman:
    yes, boxed-in duct work is usually framed and drywalled over.

If you prefer a drop ceiling, and don't mind it being so low. Then, theres no need to box-in the duct work.

Goodluck
    -jasper

• jasper_60103
    17 years ago

Wandawoman:
    I re-read your post and did some internet searching.
    Is this the finish you're trying to achieve?...

"{{gwi:1385468}}"

• wandawoman
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Jasper - thanks for the info and the picture. This is very helpful.

Wandawoman

• jkbogle
    17 years ago

This is what I plan on doing.

Here is a link that might be useful: boxed in

• monzamess
    17 years ago

My ducts are boxed-in and drywalled. The rest of the ceiling is 2'x2' panels in a traditional suspended grid 4" below the joists. The boxed-in part is 7' off the floor and the rest of the ceiling is 7'8". I put recessed lighting in between the joists.

Here are some pictures:

{{gwi:1385469}}

{{gwi:1385471}}

{{gwi:1385472}}

{{gwi:1385473}}

{{gwi:1385474}}

• monzamess
    17 years ago

P.S. I think 4" is the absolute minimum you have to drop a traditional suspended ceiling and even then I felt like I was doing the world's most boring puzzle, trying to fit in some of the panels. Plus that's the minimum clearance needed to fit in my couple of fluorescent lights.

Also, I had a couple of things running below the joists in places, so I couldn't attach drywall or one of those new panel systems directly to the joists--I would have had to drop them a couple of inches anyway with furring strips I guess. So in the end the traditional suspended ceiling only cost me 1-2" over other options.

• tracyg65
    17 years ago

I was viewing the pictures of the finished basement for they are helpful but we just had a heat ventilation system put in this past winter,,the ducts are hanging near the window and not sure how I would box those in without interfering with being able to open the window. I want to post a picture on here but not sure how to do that,,can someone please tell me how to ad a picture to my post so someone can look at my duct work? Thanks

Tracy

• aliz
    17 years ago

does anyone know the maximium width a soffit can be? We have a cold air return and supply running side by side and need to soffit both. i know that we need to have a mimum height of 6'6" from floor to bottom of soffit. it also says "spaced not less than 4 feet on center." I guess that means not less than 4 feet apart. but how wide can a single soffit be?

• jaywjay220
    17 years ago

Hello I have a finish basement I'm looking for the long plastic light cover the florescence light. I want something fancy not like the ones sold at lowes/home depot. I'm looking for the plastic one with a design on them,maybe like frosted with a clear patter.Can you tell me where I can shop in Detroit michigan or on the internet...Thanks

• worthy
    17 years ago

tracyg65 said: I want to post a picture on here but not sure how to do that

Go to Photobucket, set up an account and follow the simple directions from there.

• worthy
    17 years ago

Here are photos of two of four living areas in our basement.

I always try to maximize headroom by boxing.

• testike
    17 years ago

Check out these ceiling calculators. They helped me a bit, then i was rebuilding my apartment.
    http://www.ceilingworld.com/addon/

Here is a link that might be useful: Ceiling calculators

• selsiphious
    15 years ago

It's worth mentioning that you don't have to use drywall to create the vertical face(s) of the box when stepping from one ceiling height to the next. This can be done using the suspended ceiling tiles themselves. Read 'tip 17' in the attached link from the Armstrong website. If the link doesn't work, just google,'armstrong tips for professional ceiling installers'.

Here is a link that might be useful: Tips for Professional Ceiling Installers