Return to the Basements Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Navy blue trim (painted)

Posted by andrelaplume2 (My Page) on
Thu, Sep 23, 10 at 12:41

When I moved into our home 3 years ago I needed to paint some trim in my son's room dark blue. It was late and walmart was open and I used some cheap Dutch Boy stuff. I just remember it took 4 coats of this blue semi gloss stuff to cover the white trim around 2 windows...and I always thought a 5th coat would look better.

Fasforward a few years and I am putting up preprimed (white) molding in the basement and we want it to be navy blue. Does dark blue over a light color usually take more than 2 coats? I was thinking of 1) buying a better brand navy blue paint (in satin) and 2) using my left over paint as initial coat to darken up the molding first with the hopes of wasting less of the better paint and hopefully only needing to apply 2 coats of the better paint...why waste the old paint and perhaps the new paint will cover in less coats over a darker color...thoughts....

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Navy blue trim (painted)

sorry...guess I should have posted this in the pait forum...I practically live here though and accidently posted...sorry!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Basements Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here