Return to the Basements Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
congoleum commercial tile on basement floor?

Posted by chipg2 (My Page) on
Tue, Sep 12, 06 at 11:42

I'm in an old (1914) house, with a concrete basement floor. We don't get water in the basement, but when it rains a lot the concrete does get darker.

I'm thinking of semi-finishing the basement and am looking into flooring.

Someone suggested congoleum commercial tile, a kind of vinyl tile

I'm wondering if anyone has any experience with that? I'm looking to do about 3/4 of the basement floor with it.

It seems like mold growth would not be aproblem with this, but I wonder about how the moisture would affect the adhesive?

Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: congoleum commercial tile on basement floor?

Do you have a dehumidifier running spring to fall?

o

No, we don't use a dehumidifier at all. I'm concerned about leaving it running when we go away for several weeks in the summer. I'd rather not do that, so I'm looking for a flooring that will work without a dehumidifier.

I saw some stuff at home depot that is compositeboard on top of some plastic "feet", like egg cartons, they come in 2x2's or 1x1s and snap together, floating on the cement floor. But our floor is not even and this stuff was expensive.

Do you have experience with cft in basement?

o

It may be too late but we tried this, it was awful, we ended up putting in carpet to sell the house. This type of tile requires a VERY flat, level floor. Their were cracks in the tile where the floor was not level and the glue started coming up through the cracks between the tile, it was just awful.

That said, I'm sure it would be a decent choice as far as water issues go, if you were able to put down down some sort of self-leveling cement-based product and the proper primers to prepare the subfloor.

o

We have the right answer for your flooring problem. Super-fast curing with no disruption to operations, the exact degree of slip resistance required, processing even at very low temperatures, a large selection of color design options and much, much more � all thanks to Silikal�s product range.

Here is a link that might be useful: Commercial flooring

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Basements Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here