Return to the Basements Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Want finish crawlspace

Posted by talthoff (My Page) on
Thu, Sep 29, 11 at 11:28

My house was built in 1965 in Ohio. I am wanting to finish and use my crawlspace for storage. I'm also trying to solve a cold wood floor issue in the room above the crawlspace. This room has 2 exposed walls a garage on another and has the roof above and crawlspace below.

The crawlspace is 21' x 11' located behind my garage. I plan on removing the gravel and installing a new vapor barrier, then run 2x4 floor joists and plywood floor. I also plan on insulating the walls and floor.

Questions
1-should I use a 10 mil plasic sheeting as the vapor barrier or should i use something like tyvek?
2-I was planning on using r-19 on the new floor and rigid insulation on walls. Is this correct?
3-do I need insulation in the joist above to solve the cold wood floors?

Additional info...
our basement is not finished but has carpet and a gas ventless heater that we heat the basement with.

I have large overhangs 18" deep all around house a mild slop away from the house outside and my sump pump never runs (1 per month). we have had no water issues which is really good with the amount of rain we have had and listening to the neighbor's sump pump running all the time.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Want finish crawlspace

For the vapour barrier, 20 mil white barrier would be a better choice.

Foam board insulation (EPS, XPS) can go on the floor and walls in accordance with US Dept. of Energy recommendations for your climate. But no insulation should be installed on the crawl space ceiling. Air supply to the crawl space depends on the details of construction and any radon mitigation system that may be used.

I would not build wood floors unless you were to pour a new concrete floor.

Here is a link that might be useful: Conditioned Crawl Space Construction

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Basements Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here