Return to the Basements Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
insulate bilko door area?

Posted by andrelaplume2 (My Page) on
Thu, Sep 20, 07 at 10:12

we have an unfinished walk out basement. The walk out door is a simple steel door. You go up the steps and out the bilko doors. The basement gets chilly in the winter, as low as 55 degrees and I am looking for ways to warm it up a bit. I already have insulation in the ceiling. Over time I will add a dropped ceiling and paint the walls---was told DryLok will keep some moisture out even though we have no visible water seepage. A carpet will be added too.

Fr now I am going around seeling any gaps to the out side world. I replaced the threeshold on the out side door. I was wonder in I should perhaps glue 2" of pink board insulation to the back of the walk out door. Or lay some pink board insulation on top the concrete that makes up the sides of the steps that lead out. We seldom use the walk out.

Ideas?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: insulate bilko door area?

Is your steel door insulated? I understand your ideas, but do not think they would make much difference. Making sure you have the door insulated and sealed...so that it does not leak air...is more important.

I have the same set up...when I bought the house...it had an old wood door with half glass going out to steps. I replaced it with a good quality insulated steel door and it made a great difference.

Sounds like your basement walls are not framed and insulated. Concrete walls have litte R-value and thus create a good amount of cold. Addressing this would be better use of time and money.

Hope this help.

o

yea, well for now the most I could afford is to drylok the walls which I am told might make the room a little warmer...not sure I understand how. The steel door is 20 years old, sounds hollow to me but I am not sure. I think I have stopped the drafts from coming in around the sides and floor. I just wondered if adding a 2" (R7) pannel to the back of the door or overtop the stairs would make much difference.

o

Put a door (or even a pair) at the bottom of the steps and opening into the basement.

o

Insulation glued on the door won't make much difference. Besides, it is against Fire Codes. When ignited, that insulation gives off terrible toxic fumes.

Drylok doesn't add R Value. When you have the funds, adhere foam type insulation to the walls and between the joists at the top of the walls, cover with drywall and then you'll feel a real difference.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Basements Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here