Return to the Basements Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Cracks in basement foundation walls and floor

Posted by noah_2008 (My Page) on
Sun, Sep 26, 10 at 10:00

Hi all. I would appreciate some advice on this issue as I am getting conflicting opinions from local contractors.

I have just moved into an 8 year old house and we are looking at finishing the basement. The floor of the basement has 3 long cracks, each very narrow (1-2 millimetres at the most) with no shifting or lifting of the floor anywhere. Additionally, there are 4 very narrow cracks in the walls of the poured foundation which are visible on the inside and the outside (where they continue above ground level). The cracks in the walls are also very narrow (really just hairline cracks), but they appear to go right through the wall.

Being a fairly new house, the foundation has a properly functioning weeping tile and a dimpled plastic membrane surrounding the foundation. There is no evidence of water ingress anywhere in the basement despite heavy rainfalls and despite all the cracks.

The question is: do we need to repair the cracks prior to finishing the basement (floor and wall)? If so, what is the best approach to fixing them?

I have talked to several contractors who have told me that the cracks do not need to be repaired because the waterproofing membrane and weeping tile will prevent hydrostatic pressure from building up, thereby preventing a leak through the foundation cracks. I am really not sure whether I trust this advice.

Any insight from forum members?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Cracks in basement foundation walls and floor

These are settlement cracks of no significance. The performance guidelines I build under require no repairs to any cracks in concrete floors or poured foundation walls that are less than 6 mm. (See link below, pp.24-28.)

Were the wall cracks wider, the standard repair would be epoxy injection.

Photobucket
Epoxy injection used to repair minor cracks in new home foundation.
Photo: Heather Joy Investments

Here is a link that might be useful: Construction Performance Guidelines

o

Would you recommend undertaking the epoxy repair just to be on the safe side? (before finishing the basement, since once I finish the walls, I can no longer monitor the status of the cracks)

o

If that's all that's happened after eight years, I wouldn't bother. You might want to note though where the wall cracks are, just in case. They usually appear at the window corners, as in the photo above.

o

We just had our cracks and rod holes repaired in preparation for finishing the basement. It cost $1,000. Only one of our cracks ever leaked and only when it rained super hard.

o

Excellent advice from the pros.
Concrete will crack unless the quality is extraordinary and higher.
IMO, as an amateur, I would assure that 99.9% of the rainwater flows away from the house at least 3 to 4 feet.
Also, if the crack is too narrow, the epoxy cannot flow. Maybe a paint???

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Basements Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here