Return to the Basements Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Help with my basement floorplan pleeease!

Posted by snowang (My Page) on
Tue, Sep 3, 13 at 9:54

Morning folks!
I have about 2,000 sq ft of basement space. It walks out through the sliding doors at the bottom left. Only two sets of double windows facing the back yard.

We would like to finish into:
1. Recreation room with wet bar (bottom left)
2. Guest bedroom (bottom right corner)
3. Full bath with shower (Above stairs)
4. Home theater (top left corner, this is the only space that would allow a tray ceiling that I want)
5. Exercise room/home recording studio (Top right corner)

We'd also like enough unfinished storage space for our clutters.

Attached is a hand-drawn sketch. I have a few dilemmas and would welcome your advice.
1. We want to have a large recreation space for my young kids and their friends, to hold at least a ping pong table and their toys, and to allow them to run around. But the bedroom (12x10) is currently blocking a big piece of that. We were debating whether we could make the bump out at the bottom (9x10) a bedroom. But with even a tiny closet, I'm not sure if it'll fit a bed comfortably. The idea of having a guest bedroom in the basement is mostly for resale value. My family isn't that big right now. But I obviously don't want future buyers to be turned off when they see an unusable bedroom.

2. If we keep the bedroom as drawn, what to do with the corner space of 9x9? The bedroom wall will block most of the light there. Leave it open as part of recreation? Build a wine cellar or a big closet?

3. What is the best spot for wet bar? I have a possible location marked in the sketch and the plumbing will be connected to the sewage line in the theater room.

Many thanks!!!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Help with my basement floorplan pleeease!

What parts of the basement are underground? Where are the windows? Where are the stairs?

I'd be tempted to put the bathroom where the sewage line is, and put the bedroom on the other side, where the wt bar is. I'd put the wet bar where the bedroom is...or where the hall is, on the other side of the Home Theater.

If you go with your original design, putting a closet in the 9 by 9 ares would be fine. Storage space is always valuable, especially in a bedroom.

Make sure none of these areas leak...then design with the assumption they will some day. (Flooring that won't get moldy if a minor puddle forms.) Be sure to insulate.

o

I love how that floor plan is looking!

o

I would move the bathroom next to the bedroom to fill up that 9x9 space. Is your bedroom going to have a closet?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Basements Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here