Return to the Basements Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
basement smell how to control it?

Posted by gardenquest (My Page) on
Thu, Sep 13, 07 at 9:37

we have a 160 year old home with a combo basement that is half dirt and half brick. ( dirt floor walls are fieldstone, and the brick floor rooms are brick also)
we have a stronger odor....i know it's august and the mostiure content in the air is high, it is coming up threw the cold air returns and heat registers. I have used damprid before, that helps but is there anything else to do?
We do not use this basement for any storgae, etc. The only time someone goes down there is if something wrong with lights/furnace/etc - so only 1 or 2 times a year.
I have been keeping the outside door open a little for some fresh air to flow in, but is there any thing else i can do?
it is a dirty musty smell, and a hint of Mold ( no mold, unless it's hiding, we have looked a few times)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: basement smell how to control it?

My suggestions would be use a dehumidifier to remove moisture and then utilize a fan for air movement. Those are the two biggest culprits. A quick fix, temporary solution to get rid of the odor would be to fill a bowl with vinegar and put it in the basement, but that doesn't eliminate the problem and you'd have to replace it every few days to continue fighting the odor.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Basements Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here