Return to the Basements Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Subdividing already finished basement?

Posted by angc (My Page) on
Wed, Sep 22, 10 at 9:36

We live in a 2 yo home that already has a nicely finished basement with a full bath, closet, and 18x12 storage area. The finished space is about 18x45. We'd like divide that space into a bedroom and family room. The bedroom would be about 18x15 with a reach-in closet. We'd need to put an egress window in that space as well. We're not making any other changes, just adding a three walls and two doors and whatever electrical is required for code as far as outlets. I know the biggest expense will be the egress window.
Is my estimate of about $6000 reasonable? We don't want to do any work ourselves other than painting and want to reuse the carpet.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Subdividing already finished basement?

Wage rates vary enormously by region.

Still, for a professional inspected job, I'd say you're coming up short.

It's easy enough to get some free estimates and be sure.

o
RE: Subdividing already finished basement?

Thanks so much for responding-
I'm trying to line up a contractor get an estimate, but I hate to even begin the process if we've budgeted too little. I don't want to waste their time if we need to wait until Spring to do the project. The egress is priority #1 and will be done by a different contractor than the interior work which can wait a few months if necessary. I'm thinking 2-3K for the egress window using one of the Scapewell type products.
As far as costs, we're in a suburb of a medium sized city in the South.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Basements Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here