Return to the Basements Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Paint color suggestion for basement?

Posted by kerry331 (My Page) on
Sun, Sep 24, 06 at 9:32

What color did you paint your finished basement? We are painting shortly but i am not really sure what to do for the area...it's going to be mostly a play area w/a living room set up however I don't want to paint it 'kid' colors as i am sure we will all get sick of something too vibrant. I was thinking neutrals (tans) .. but light tan, b/c i don't have big windows down there, so something light i would think would be the right choice.
can you post pictures of your basements?
thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Paint color suggestion for basement?

Ours is aquamarine... the B&W photos look good against it.

o

We wanted something similar--not kid-colored, but warm and not too dark. Ours will be half playroom half media room, but we also have only small, high windows.

We went with Benjamin Moore's Monroe Bisque. It's a pretty, warm tan with a slight goldish cast. We used a 50% formula in the stairwell to decrease the "tunnel effect," and used 100% throughout the rest of the rooms. We painted our ceilings bright white (for maximum light reflection) and the trim White Dove.

I don't have pictures since we've painted--it's still a bit of a mess down there, but I can try to snap some over the next few days when we clean up. Hope that helps.

o

Thank you for your help and your input!! I would LOVE to see pics!!! Sounds beautiful!!

o

I've never heard of "tunnel effect". I've never really had a basement though before either. I'll be painting within a few months, I had thought with everything a beautiful cream color. What ever tunnel effect is though, it doesn't sound pleasant. So what is it, and how do I avoid it?

o

I would keep it as bright as possible, unless its a home theatre.
My end goal for my basement was that it shouldn't feel like a basement.
Enjoy!

-jasper

o

We selected a variety of colors from white to bright. Ours in an entertainment space and we simply did not want it looking like the rest of our home.

Photos linked from "My Page".

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Basements Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here