Return to the Basements Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Necessary to move heatin vents to floor?

Posted by stir_fryi (My Page) on
Tue, Sep 14, 10 at 9:29

Just starting our basement -- hearing so many different ideas from people it is hard to know what to believe.

Our basement will be drywalled with a drop ceiling and a raised insulated floor.

A non-HVAC person (actually a plumber) told us you definately need to move the heating vents down the walls near to the floor instead of keeping them in the ceiling. We do have at least one cold air return in the ceiling.

Just went to a neighbors house (same layout as ours) -- their vents our still in the ceiling of their finished basement. She said it is not cold down there.

We are in Michigan.

Don't want to spend unnecessary money.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Necessary to move heatin vents to floor?

I would suggest that your cold air inlet be near the floor for certain - I cut ours into the cold-air return at the base of the furnace. Cold air near the floor is captured, conditioned and recirculated.

I did not move our "vents" to the floor either and our basement temperature is actually quite warm during the months when the house thermostat calls for heat. We installed an electric fireplace to add auxulary heat, primarily necessary during spring/fall when the furnace is not operating as much. We're in N. IL.

I would suggest replacing or adding storm windows for any builder installed basement window. Significant heat loss from the standard single-pane ones.

Here is a link to our basement. Comments have been added below many of the photos to perhaps provide some ideas. Good luck.

Here is a link that might be useful: Basement Photos

o

Very nice.

May I ask why an electric FP and not gas???

o

The gas inserts at homes we visit put out too much heat. Thus they must be turned off, then on again. Can't just enjoy the ambience of a fire. Ours is thermostatically controlled for heat but the fire illusion is independent.

I am uncomfortable with the ventless gas. CO is not something I wish to risk. Electric saved installing a chimney or vent.

Hope that helps. F

o

Ventless gas adds lots of moisture to the air. The burning of natural gas produces 66% of the byproducts as water vapor.

o

plus they STINK. They do throw a lot of heat and in our open concept upsatirs the water vapour is not an issue but the smell is so its always a battle of how much we leave the flu closed for heat vs the smell. We bought it with the intention of leaving the flu open and using it for ambience but the amount of heat it can throw is enticing. For a basement, I'd look for another product...maybe pellet...?

o

Our basement is drywalled, part with a drop ceiling & part drywall finished ceiling. It is a concrete floor with pad and Berber carpet. There are two cold air return vents at floor level in two adjacent bedrooms at one end of the house (side closest to furnace), but no floor vents in a 3rd bedroom or the main family room. All areas have ceiling vents. Not sure why they did it that way. We're in NE Nebraska and get extremely cold winters. We get along fine.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Basements Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here