Return to the Basements Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What to do with the floor drain and cleanout?

Posted by green_n_ohio (My Page) on
Mon, Sep 18, 06 at 7:59

When finishing a basement, what should be done with the floor drain and floor-based sewer cleanout? It just doesn't seem right to put flooring over them; but neither does it seem right to leave them exposed.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What to do with the floor drain and cleanout?

Aren't they typcially near the wall? Most box them in and put an access panel for future use.

o

My floor drain isn't near the wall (I have usually seen them towards the center of the room...), and boxing it in would keep it from draining in the case of water in the basement.

We have ceramic tile in the basement. We tiled around the floor drain, leaving it available to do what it is intended to do. We DO, however, have a cotton throw rug over it. That way it is not seen, and the draining can start if necessary (albeit it would be hindered until we removed the rug).

o

Mine is in the mechanical room, which is unfinished. I think you would want to keep the sewer accessible for the water heater (and other major applicances) to drain to if necessary.

o

You definitely want to keep them accessible. You can get a flat plug for the cleanout and a chrome or brass cover for the floor drain to dress things up a bit. Run your flooring around them. I suppose you could do something like faux painting to help disguise them a bit.

Unfortunately this kind of stuff is one of the banes of finishing basements. It only gets so good.

Mike

o

Both the floor drain and the cleanout are code requirements, whereas finishing the basement is not...guess which one has precedence?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Basements Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here