Return to the Basements Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Anyone have experience with staining concrete?

Posted by dspen (My Page) on
Thu, Sep 20, 12 at 7:59

Hi,

We are considering finishing our basement. It is a fairly new home. I like the looks of the stained concrete, however, my issue is how the finished product may look. There are several hairline cracks in the floor which would be patched before finishing. There is no issue of moisture, but I am concerned that the stain will look different on the original poured cement than it will on the cracks that will be patched.

If I understand correctly, there are several types of stain and would love to hear from anyone who has had experience with these products.

Does anyone have opinions on this?

Thanks so much

Diane

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Anyone have experience with staining concrete?

I've no experience with floor staining, but we use our basement ALOT and went with and epoxy floor which was troweled onto the concrete. It looks great and has wonderful durability. This may be another alternative for you to think about.

o
RE: Anyone have experience with staining concrete?

Thanks for your response vineyardflute.

We ued a similar product for our garage, but didnt have good luck with it. It peeled. But maybe a basement would not get the kind of abuse a garage does. We stuck with the proper preparation, but it still peeled. The product we used was rolled onto the cement, so maybe your product is different. I will look into it.

Thanks

Diane

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Basements Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here