Return to the Basements Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Creating Access to Stone Foundation Basement

Posted by djdoggone (doggonedeb@me.com) on
Tue, Sep 17, 13 at 7:56

Our tiny cottage has a stone foundation and an inside trap door for access to the basement. We are getting too arthritic for climbing a ladder to change well water filters and add salt to the water softener each month so we wondered if it were possible to add a bulkhead for easier access -- plus the furnace maintenance guys would appreciate it.

Is it possible to cut through stone to add a basement door?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Creating Access to Stone Foundation Basement

Yes, of course it is possible. The catch is, does the stone support the weight of the house? You'd really want to consult an engineer about this, to see if you would have to add a pillar. This is NOT a Do-It-Yourself project.

My parents have been having a lot of trouble with their basement bulkhead lately. Basement bulkhead doors can leak and cause flooding if not installed correctly. They can also let in pests. Make sure that the door connecting the house to the basement is a good hollow steal external door, make sure the grading of the soil diverts water away from the bulkhead, make sure the rain gutters don't pour water on the bulkhead. I might invest in the new fiberglass insulated bulkhead doors, but I haven't priced them.

Is your house old? When you hire anyone to do work on an old house, be prepared for them to find all sorts of things that aren't up to code. My friend's wheelchair ramp ended up costing $100,000.

Personally, I'd just try to put in a better stairway to the basement. But then, I'm timid when it comes to home improvements.

This post was edited by edlincoln on Thu, Sep 19, 13 at 11:15

o
RE: Creating Access to Stone Foundation Basement

Thanks, Ed. We're leaning toward just improving the stairway because we have been reading about old stone foundations giving way when a backhoe pulls away the earth. Yes, house is old and built by workers on an estate as a summer guest cottage so we aren't talking architectural/engineered foundation here. Budget would not allow for problems like your friend's. But we had looked at the fiberglass (Clamdoor) bulkhead and found it very nice, indeed. Thanks, Deb

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Basements Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here